Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Reporting Services 2005 on Windows 2000 server

Hi,

I successfully got SQL 2005 Express with reporting services running under VISTA. Developed some reports in the VISTA environment. However, my target system is a Windows 2000 server. We installed SQL 2005 w/reporting services onto the Windows 2000 server. SQL2005 Database is up and running. Reporting Services are running, IIS RRS virtual directories are built, RRS databases are built. I can do everything except deploy reports from Business Intelligent Studio. I can preview reports, just cannot deploy. The Reporting Services indicate 1 failure in its configuration; the Web Service Identity. It is loaded with <server>\ASPNET. I cannot get rid of this error. I assume this is the problem. After digging around I found that Windows 2000 does not have an ASPNET user, it uses the IWAM user instead. Reporting services did not run at all till I changed the rs config file and put the IWAM user in as <WebServiceAccount>.

Does anyone have Reporting services 2005 running on Windows 2000 server? Anyone know how to fix the Web Service Identity error I am getting?

Thanks

Could you please post the whole error message ?|||

I have the same problem too...

I can't change the value of ASP .NET Service Account in the text box and when I try to apply what is proposed (MACHINENAME\ASPNET - that don't exists), I receive the following error:

ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.WMIProviderException: An unknown error has occurred in the WMI Provider. Error Code 8007056B

at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.SetWebServiceIdentity(String applicationPool)

I hope in a solution ....

|||

Hi Matteo and rodgerst,

Could you, please, connect to your Report Server instance using the config tool, choose Report Server and Report Manager virtual directories tabs, check Apply Default Settings, and then press Apply?

If the previous workaround was not working, could you, please, go to this registry key corresponding to the RS instance:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\Setup

and look for this key: ReportManagerIdentityConfigured. Please change its value to what you want to have for your web service identity (the IWAM user).

I hope it helps. Please let me know how this is working for you.

Mihaela

|||

Hi Mihaela

I've tried the first workaround, close and open RS Config Manager but ....nothing: a red X on web service identity and a locked textbox with the same wrong value.

The value specified in the second workaround don't exists in the registry key, and in entire registry... I've tried to create it, close and reopen Config Manager but .... nothing ....

If can be useful at this link i've saved a screenshot of registry

http://www.matteodistefano.it/public/registrySS.gif

Thanks in advance

Matteo

|||

Matteo,

I see from your screenshot that you have SQL Express Advanced SP1 installed on the Windows 2000 machine, which is your Reporting Services server. I would suggest to try to install SP2 and see if this is working.

Thank you,

Mihaela

|||

Hi Mihaela

Thanks for your answer,

For the moment I can't access directly to it, so I won't risk to install a service pack remotely on a production server.

I'll do it after 6 weeks.

Any other suggestions are appreciate.

Thanks

|||

Tried applying default settings; did not help. Tried regedit; ReportManagerIdentityConfigured is not a key in either MSSQL.1 or MSSQL.2. Should I try adding it to MSSQL.2\Setup?

|||My registry looks like Matteo's snapshot except we are running the Enterprise Evaluation Edition.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment