Friday, March 30, 2012

Reporting Services Add-in Installation Error

I have tried several times to get the Reporting Services Add-In to install. It seems as if everything is going along well except when the installation gets to "Removing Backup" files it hangs and then completely uninstalls the product. Moreover, the event log simply notes "installation failed". Has anybody else encountered this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yeah I get exactly the same thing - "Removing backup files" just sits there. Hasn't uninstalled the product yet, maybe I'm too impatient Smile

When I check the activity, the HCINSTAL (which I guess is the right process) is active and consuming CPU, but apart from that nothing... I rebooted the server just in case, and though it seems to think the product is installed I'd like to get a clean install!

|||

Am I assuming correctly that this is wrt running SharePointRS.msi? If yes, then the SharePointRS.msi creates a log file in the Temp folder - <Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Local Settings\Temp\RS_SP_<number>.log file

Could you provide contents of the RS_SP_<number>.log file that corresponds to when you got the error?

thanx,

Prash

|||

I am having the exact same problem...This is the error I get from the RS log file!

The web configration file, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\config\webconfig.dlc.xml, does not have element "configuration/configSections/sectionGroup[@.name='SharePoint']" or it is invalid.


Install error: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\bin\stsadm.exe return error code: -1

I opened the xml file and there is no section for configuration...|||

Same error. Eventually it finishes, but the webparts and associated actions are not registered in the site collections. (The Application management Reporting Services settings are available however).

|||I am getting the same error. Any resolution on this? It would be nice if the error would show what the config file should look like. It knows the section is missing...so why not show how to fix it?|||

I was told by an MS rep to try two things, neither of which worked:

1) re-download the add in

2)

RESOLUTION:
==============
1. Run the .MSI from a command line with the following command:
a. msiexec /I SharePointRS.msi SKIPCA=1
2. Run the rscustomaction.exe file manually from a command line by running this
command:
a. %TEMP%\rscustomaction.exe -I
b. It could be in a different directory underneath %TEMP% though as on
Fredericks machine it was in the %TEMP%\2 directory.

I was wondering if it could be caused by an underpowered server -- my server/laptop has 1GB of memory and I saw where the req was 2GB. In any event, I get the same exact problem (hanging on the removing backup files), and at this point cannot get around it

|||It took my installation a long, long, long time to 'Remove Backup Files' but it eventually worked.

The other important thing is to make sure you have set yourself up as a Site Collections Admin in Sharepoint for *all* the Site Collections.

When you're running the install, it is modifying the SharePoint site collection to add the new SSRS bits.

Hope this helps.|||

The long time and HCInstall process you see during 'Remove Backup Files' are due to the RS Add-in installing RS help in all the languages supported in SharePoint in the various SharePoint Web Applications.

We are considering updating the 'Remove Backup Files' setup UI to be more informative and less confusing in the Katmai timeframe.

HTH,

Prash

|||

I have successfully installed the SQL Reporting Services add-in for MOSS on a single server farm. However, on our medium farm dev environment, I can not "set server defaults" for reporting services under Central administration site. I get the following error "An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. > An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. > Value does not fall within the expected range." In addition, I get this same error in our Test Medium farm environment.

To make things worse, the web parts and the reporting content types do not install correctly in my iltest medium farm either for any site collection eventhough the log file in my temp directory states their were installed and activated. I have deactivated the feature report server and uninstall it now several times after the repair and removal from add remove programs did not fix the issue.

Any ideas on how to fix the DEV error and then ge the Test enivronment to install correctly. I am wondering if their is an issue with using this in a medium farm scenario with 2 front-end web servers.

|||

RESOLUTION:
==============
1. Run the .
MSI from a command line with the following command:
a. msiexec /I
SharePointRS.msi SKIPCA=1
2. Run the rscustomaction.exe file manually from a command line by running this
command:
a. %TEMP%\rscustomaction.exe -I
b. It could be in a different directory underneath %TEMP% though as on
Fredericks machine it was in the %TEMP%\2 directory.

I have tried this solution and it worked perfectly.

BIG THANKS.

|||

who can resolve it?I saw the same error!

|||When you run the command line for msiexec (resolution outlined by henkyck), make sure you have changed the working directory to be the folder where the SharePointRS.msi exists.

This was the only way we were able to get the installation to work successfully.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment