Friday, March 30, 2012

Reporting Services and Excel

Can someone please help me. My first posting for this question went
unanswered. Here goes...I'm trying to create a report in reporting services.
The end result will be a subscription that creates an Excel file with
contains multiple sheets (Tabs). Each sheet should corresponds to a differen
t
query or subreport. All the sheets will be derived from the same data source
and all the sheets except for one have the same column headers. Can someone
tell me how I would set this up in reporting services? I have been able to
create several reports and deployed them individual. The result is a
subscription for each report, and several individual Excel files with one
sheet. Thanks!!I did something similar with one of our reports. I created each individual
report. I then created one report with the subreports. I put each
subreport within a rectangle and I gave each subreport a different name
(right-click on the subreport | properties | general tab | name). I have
page breaks after each rectangle, and each subreport shows up on a different
tab.
Keith
"nupee" <nupee@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:49D866DD-D778-458B-BE8B-FF5268B96280@.microsoft.com...
> Can someone please help me. My first posting for this question went
> unanswered. Here goes...I'm trying to create a report in reporting
services.
> The end result will be a subscription that creates an Excel file with
> contains multiple sheets (Tabs). Each sheet should corresponds to a
different
> query or subreport. All the sheets will be derived from the same data
source
> and all the sheets except for one have the same column headers. Can
someone
> tell me how I would set this up in reporting services? I have been able
to
> create several reports and deployed them individual. The result is a
> subscription for each report, and several individual Excel files with one
> sheet. Thanks!!|||Thank You Keith. Your suggestions worked perfectly after several hours of
tweeking. I'm hoping you can help me customize it even further. Since each
subreport is a Tab or sheet in Excel, I need to pass the name of the
subreport to Excel so that the tabs or subreport assume the subreport name.
Currently each tab is named the default (Sheet1, Sheet2, etc.). Is this
possible? Also, once the report is deployed, I would like to set up a
subscription. Can you assign a certain filename that you want the
subscription to save the file as or does it assign it the name of the
project' Thanks!!
"Keith Kratochvil" wrote:

> I did something similar with one of our reports. I created each individua
l
> report. I then created one report with the subreports. I put each
> subreport within a rectangle and I gave each subreport a different name
> (right-click on the subreport | properties | general tab | name). I have
> page breaks after each rectangle, and each subreport shows up on a differe
nt
> tab.
> --
> Keith
>
> "nupee" <nupee@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:49D866DD-D778-458B-BE8B-FF5268B96280@.microsoft.com...
> services.
> different
> source
> someone
> to
>|||Unfortunately it is not possible to controle the naming of the tabs. It is
possible to create a document map (the first worksheeet contains named links
to each tab). This is the only option for now. I had a disucssion with an
individual from Microsoft on this issue and I believe they are looking into
it. There is no official timeline for the enhancement. There is no
guarantee that they will put it in, but I am hoping that it will make it
into the product eventually.
Regarding the name of the file, yes you can specify the name of the file and
the path when setting up the subscription.
Keith
"nupee" <nupee@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:31E014F7-F155-433F-AEE3-A38C5C817A0E@.microsoft.com...
> Thank You Keith. Your suggestions worked perfectly after several hours of
> tweeking. I'm hoping you can help me customize it even further. Since each
> subreport is a Tab or sheet in Excel, I need to pass the name of the
> subreport to Excel so that the tabs or subreport assume the subreport
name.[vbcol=seagreen]
> Currently each tab is named the default (Sheet1, Sheet2, etc.). Is this
> possible? Also, once the report is deployed, I would like to set up a
> subscription. Can you assign a certain filename that you want the
> subscription to save the file as or does it assign it the name of the
> project' Thanks!!
> "Keith Kratochvil" wrote:
>
individual[vbcol=seagreen]
have[vbcol=seagreen]
different[vbcol=seagreen]
able[vbcol=seagreen]
one[vbcol=seagreen]|||Once again Keith, your advised has helped me tremendously, Thanks!!..In term
s
of the name of the file, I noticed that you can specify a filename if you ar
e
saving the report to a fileshare directory but you cannot specify a filename
if you are sending the report via the report server email delivery in report
manager. Is there a way around that' My report will be emailed to several
customers and I would like to specify different filenames for each
customer/report based on inidividual subscriptions for each customer.
"Keith Kratochvil" wrote:

> Unfortunately it is not possible to controle the naming of the tabs. It i
s
> possible to create a document map (the first worksheeet contains named lin
ks
> to each tab). This is the only option for now. I had a disucssion with a
n
> individual from Microsoft on this issue and I believe they are looking int
o
> it. There is no official timeline for the enhancement. There is no
> guarantee that they will put it in, but I am hoping that it will make it
> into the product eventually.
> Regarding the name of the file, yes you can specify the name of the file a
nd
> the path when setting up the subscription.
> --
> Keith
>
> "nupee" <nupee@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:31E014F7-F155-433F-AEE3-A38C5C817A0E@.microsoft.com...
> name.
> individual
> have
> different
> able
> one
>|||I am glad to hear that the suggestion was helpful!
Hmmm, I don't know if it is possible. Perhaps someone from Microsoft will
chime in with an answer.
In the mean time, send your request to sqlwish@.microsoft.com
They might not respond to your email, but they do read them!
Keith
"nupee" <nupee@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CDBABC21-8E21-4F85-8DC5-2ABCE1FE9DA1@.microsoft.com...
> Once again Keith, your advised has helped me tremendously, Thanks!!..In
terms
> of the name of the file, I noticed that you can specify a filename if you
are
> saving the report to a fileshare directory but you cannot specify a
filename
> if you are sending the report via the report server email delivery in
report[vbcol=seagreen]
> manager. Is there a way around that' My report will be emailed to several
> customers and I would like to specify different filenames for each
> customer/report based on inidividual subscriptions for each customer.
> "Keith Kratochvil" wrote:
>
is[vbcol=seagreen]
links[vbcol=seagreen]
an[vbcol=seagreen]
into[vbcol=seagreen]
and[vbcol=seagreen]
of[vbcol=seagreen]
each[vbcol=seagreen]
this[vbcol=seagreen]
name[vbcol=seagreen]
went[vbcol=seagreen]
with[vbcol=seagreen]
a[vbcol=seagreen]
data[vbcol=seagreen]
Can[vbcol=seagreen]
been[vbcol=seagreen]
a[vbcol=seagreen]
with[vbcol=seagreen]

No comments:

Post a Comment